Isn't she beautiful!!!
Our apartment before this and my room growing up had built-in bookshelves that I loved. In my opinion all houses should have built-in shelves and window seats. They make so much sense and save so much space. When we moved we never got around to buying another shelf. For almost 2 years all of my precious books have been exiled to boxes or closet shelves. My books really are my friends. I kid you not, my 6th grade year they were probably my only friends. Sad, yes. But true. I only buy books I know I'll read over and over like most people do with movies. I used to read Jane Eyre every 6 months and bawl my eyes out. Every time. "Read it, I know you'll love it!" (Name that movie quote)
When I finished teaching and all my classroom books came home too, I became frantic to finally get a new bookshelf. But, lets just say we took 7 months to agree on a couch and had an empty living room that entire time. We don't just go out and buy things. So 9 months after I brought the books home we saw THE SHELF at Costco for $500. A little much. But fate was on my side. Last week it was on sale for $300. Still pricey yes, but just what I wanted. So my wonderful husband drove back to Costco by himself and bought my 300 lbs already assembled enormous bookcase. Yep $1 per pound. Sorry Matt and Dad.
I LOVE IT!!! It's much nicer than any bookcase I thought we'd get. Poplar wood with a maple veneer, 14 step lacquer process (or so the box said). It's taken up residence in our front room if you'd like to come visit. I'm debating what to put in the drawers because I know they will soon be Charlotte territory. Maybe toys or diapers? Anyway sorry for the boring post about a piece of furniture, but I just wanted to welcome her to the house and say welcome back books I've missed you!
PS These are just my pretty books, the others will have to wait for a less conspicuous location to house their shabbier paper-back selves.
Anyone want to share something off their wish list? I think our next piece of furniture should be a bigger bed... probably in 5 years or so!
It's beautiful! And, the movie is You've Got Mail- it's my favorite!
ReplyDelete1) Oh, you are definitely not the only one with a list! In fact, just yesterday I was thinking about posting my list. No joke. :) Um, I want a piano. Really, really, really badly.
ReplyDelete2) It really is BEAUTIFUL! I love it! And of course only the pretty books are delegated to the pretty bookshelf. Isn't that how everyone does it?
3) YES, all homes should have window seats. To read in.
4) You've Got Mail. That is such a great quote!
5) The drawers are definitely going to be Charlotte territory soon! Childproof things are a must. I think diapers is pretty brilliant, actually. Although word to the wise - if you put toys in there you are only encouraging her to play with the drawers. And before you know it there will be scratches, dents, and bite marks in your drawers. Yeah, I made that mistake.
congrats! we got our king bedroom furniture with our taxes last year and this year we got a new computer. it does feel so goooood to cross off things, especially when you know you're making your home prettier...ahhhh. ya and i had no idea about that quote, lol.
ReplyDeletelooks great! I like the snapfish book of Charlotte, especially. And the Harry Potter shelf!
ReplyDeleteAnd the top of my wish list right now is a very large piece of art to hang above my bed. These things take time...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I can look at and enjoy your shelf Erin because I'm pretty sure I'll never get one that nice. One thing on my wish list is a digital piano, digital because it's easier to move and you can play with earphones.
ReplyDeleteWould it be a sin to admit that I covet your book shelf? I love book shelves and I still don't have a nice one in my house! I love that one, I want to come see it in person, did you have it when we came for Kori's party? Maybe there were just too many people for me to notice. It is really nice, I like it!
ReplyDeleteI know....you're going to be sick of reading all my comments! But I forgot to ask.....what kind of book club are you in? I've been wanting to get in a good book club for so long, does your club invite new members into it? Now that i"m done with my degree I can actually read books that I want to read instead of books that I have to read. Let me know!
ReplyDelete