Tuesday, March 17, 2009

EXTRA! EXTRA! Half a Year Old!!

This 6 month thing is hitting me hard. I have a love hate relationship with Charlotte getting older if you haven't noticed. Love every age, but I miss the earlier one too. It sounds so old to say Charlotte is half a year old. I feel like that means she's half-way done with being a baby.
Sorry to everyone who is sick of hearing about Charlotte. What can I say, she's pretty much my whole life right now. Summary of Matt: works everyday, has fun on his computer at night, yard work on Saturdays. There now you're caught up on us!
If Charlotte's life were a newspaper these would be this week's headlines:
Front Page Special Edition:
BREAKING NEWS!!! STOP THE PRESSES!!!
CHARLOTTE SLEEPS THROUGH THE NIGHT!!

Don't worry she usually sleeps on her back. She was doing tummy time and fell asleep. I moved her after the picture.

Yep that's right folks Charlotte slept from approx. 9:00 pm to 7:00 am (count them 10 hours of sweet, sweet slumber) almost every night for the past week!!

Editorial: What finally worked?
Possible reasons (thank you to those who gave me suggestions in this area):
-She just grew out of her nighttime feeding at 6 months
-Letting her cry it out sometimes (I tried the 5-10-15 min method, it usually worked)
-Feeding for less time at night
-Feeding 3.5-4 hours during the day instead of every 3
-Going to bed closer to 9 or 9:30 instead of 8 or 8:30
-Solids (runny rice cereal didn't do it but she's been doing one veggie feeding at dinner for almost 2 weeks now) This is a popular reason lots of people give.
-Swaddling
-Lots and lots of prayer and talks to Charlotte about it
-Luck, a whole lot-o luck (It is St Patrick's day this week, and a Friday the 13th which are lucky in this family)
I know, I know... don't get my hopes up. Charlotte's sleep patterns change from week to week... I'm sure teething will throw her for a loop... Can't I just enjoy this sleep pattern while it lasts? "I'm so happy." (Name that movie quote)
Opinions Page
(please post your opinion in the comments)
How do you get babies to take longer naps? Charlotte is taking 3- 30-45 minute naps a day. This is great but it barely gives me enough time to do anything. I'd prefer she took 2 longer naps. Any suggestions?
Health and Fitness


I love my feet!


Stats from the latest Dr. visit
Weight: 15lbs 12 oz (45 % still climbing the chart) Almost tripled from birth!!
Height: 26.25 inches (75 % steady)
Head: 17 inches (75% steady)


Who would have guessed these stats when she was only 5lbs 5 oz at birth!
-Charlotte has a preference for leaning her head to the right so we're doing neck stretches, possibly physical therapy

-Still trying to roll over more, almost sitting up, but she can wiggle pretty far on her back


Culinary Section
Rice Cereal, Squash, and Carrots, Oh My!

What a mess! On my hands, on my face, on my parents, on the table! I am loving the solid food life! Dad serves up a mean pureed diet each night.

Recreation and Social Column

-Afternoon walks before mother nature turns up the summer heat and we're stuck indoors (opposite of most of the country)


I like to hold the mail


One of those famous Arizona sunsets

-Mom's group activities almost everyday including:
Library story time
Breastfeeding mom's group (infant massage was this week's topic)
Book club (Marley and Me- I'm lovin' it!)
Playgroup with St. Patrick's Day Pictures

Meet at the Mall
Lunch dates

It has been so fun to have an excuse to get out and meet people. The day goes so much faster and Charlotte is much happier.

House and Home
-New A/C going in next week
-New lamp
-Laundry, Laundry, and more Laundry
-Procrastinating house cleaning
Upcoming Articles
-To cloth diaper or not to cloth diaper? That is the question.

15 comments:

  1. It is so nice when they sleep through the night! A friend of mine (that has 5 kids) told me that a baby born average weight (which I am guessing to be around 7 pounds) can skip a night feeding when they weigh 10 pounds and can sleep through the night once they have doubled their birthweight. I guess I'd say I followed that with Aidan- he wasn't waking up to eat at night at 10 months, he was just waking up to be annoying to me! but 4 hours of crying it out really helped!

    Oh and the question of cloth diapering- Nate would give you a big fat NO! What does Matt say???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! It looks like the elementary school teacher in you coming out. I can say that because my sister is one too. As far as the nap thing, I completely understand. I've heard that their sleep cycles are 30-45 minutes and that's why they wake up after that short of a period of time. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're done sleeping/not tired anymore just that they aren't sure how to go back to sleep (no clue why this doesn't happen at night). This doesn't always work for me, but if C wakes after that short amount of time, I go pick him up and sit down with him until he falls back asleep (often within a few minutes) then I move him to the crib. During that time, I don't talk to him or look at him in the eye so he knows it is time to sleep. If he doesn't fall back asleep quickly (w/in 10 minute) or he seems to be WIDE awake, I just let him get up. However, I think that being consistent with this has helped him to learn how to nap on his own for longer stretches.

    We're seriously considering the cloth diapering too. I just ordered two of the Bum Genius 3.0 diapers to give them a try. I can't wait until they arrive. We'll have to talk more about it at the next meetup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is doing great. Camille hadn't even doubled her weight at 1 year - but she started out over 9 pounds.

    Congratulations on your full night of sleep (assuming you didn't check on her in the middle of the night). I don't know what the trick is to longer naps. I just wish mine would take one.

    As for cloth diapers - they aren't for me. It is bad enough washing out panties - which I guess are a lot like cloth diapers. I hope to be all done with this all soon - at least until there is a baby in our house again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin........I'm so jeleous of your original posts! And that Charlotte is sleeping through the night. She does have 6 weeks on Easton though. I will brag that he has been napping almost 2 hours at the moment. I'm so happy for you guys. Charlotte is such a happy and fun baby. Easton and I are glad to be a part of watching her grow and change. What happened to the St. Pat's Pic???
    See you at the library tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH YAY!!!! I'm so glad she slept through the night. My kids usually nap for less time once they sleep through the night. And I haven't the slightest clue how to get them to nap longer. Some times I try to do night time methods at nap time and it works. Seara slept 12 hours nights at two months, but that also meant that she ate every 2 hours during the day. I decided I could give that one if I got my sleep. ;) Okay, okay, all my typing is actually saying nothing but I'm happy for you and good luck keeping it up!

    ps. I love your hair cut story - that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray on sleeping through the night! SO great when it happens! Longer naps? I don't know...do you use white noise? We do...I'm not sure if it helps or not but both our kids have been pretty good nappers (even when they were not sleeping through the night) Make sure her room is dark, cool, and use a fan for noise...good luck!
    Nice chunking up too! I understand about feeling sad they're growing up...the little tiny baby stage is my FAVORITE (we call it the blob stage) it goes by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Erin I think I need to follow your advice because she's doing better than Spencer ever did. I know you'd rather hear a cure all but I'd just be grateful for the nights. One thing is for sure, you never realize how hard the lack of sleep is until your the mom and doing it day after day yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her! Hope you are doing well!
    Love, Sarah Goodman
    (Sarah Allen from NAU) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin of course I remember you! I'm so glad you found me! Congrats on your cute baby girl! Girls are so much fun! I'm so happy for you that she is sleeping through the night, I hope it continues! Thanks again for dropping in on my blog to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the email reminder, I had completely forgotten about your blog. She's beautiful, I can't believe she's six months old!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for feeding us on Saturday. Brother Brown said he saw you at Sarrano's on Friday evening. It was fun to see you. As always I love the BLOG. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea for sleeping through the night! I have to confess, I still nurse Brielle once in the night--but she is SO skinny! I can't help it. She did the 30 minute nap thing at that age too--drove me crazy. But they gradually got longer, and now she takes 2 naps that are 1 or 2 hours each. Marc Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (I think that is the title, or something like it) has great info on how naps develop at different ages--length, number per day, etc. Sounds like you're on track, though! Charlotte is such a cutie. I wish I could get my babies to be that chubby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is getting so big and she's so adorable. And YAY for sleeping through the night!!!!!! It was so good to read an update. I'll have one posted soon, promise! We were on vacation - that's why I disappeared :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think little Charlotte is adorable! She's so cute! I love reading your posts...just so you know. I don't always comment, but know that I visit it whenever I see a new post. If I had tons of time, I would make sure I commented regularly. It looks like you guys are doing well, and I'm so glad to see that! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never really realized how much Charlotte looks like Matt until I saw some of these pictures, and now I totally see it!

    ReplyDelete