Monday, July 5, 2010

Twins!

Oliver and Abigail have arrived!

Oliver Matthew Whitmer: 5lb 6oz
Abigail Whitmer: 4lb 1oz

Due to the onset of preeclampsia Erins OB decided to induce her. Erin was not thrilled about the idea of having pitocin - but that was still better than going straight to a c-section.

Here is the timeline of events (July 1 2010):
  • 5:30pm : Pitocin started
  • 5:30pm - 9:30pm : Erin had some very minor non-painful contractions.
  • 9:30pm : Erins OB broke the water of Baby A (Oliver)
  • 9:30pm - 10:40pm : Erin had some painful contractions.
  • 10:40pm : Erins nurse checked her and we started the 'rush' over to the operating room.
  • 10:47pm : One push and Oliver is born
  • 10:51pm : Abigail is pulled out by her feet
Erin chose not to have an epidural and did an amazing job. I'm very proud of her. I can't image it very common to hear "that was easy" from a mother immediately after giving birth to twins.

Erin and Oliver are now home. The hospital insists on keeping Abigail a bit longer because of her size. They had said originally that she could come home Sunday which somehow became Tuesday (hopefully). They have no reason for keeping her beyond her size, which they believe requires observation. Nothing has been observably wrong with her. So the waiting and logistics of the situation have been very difficult.

Health wise Abigail is literally doing amazing for her size. She never once had a low temperature reading, blood sugar reading, or anything else. The test which they use to indicate jaundice showed her levels to be essentially zero. Everyone seemed very surprised that a baby her size can be as healthy as she is.

Oliver is also very healthy. His temperature did drop after they gave him a bath, and his blood sugar levels were not quite as good as those of Abigail. His jaundice indicators were still very low (again not as low as Abigail). He was discharged on Saturday along with Erin. The hospital wasn't as concerned with him because his weight is more normal than Abigail's. He is doing wonderful here at home.









20 comments:

  1. Congratulations guys! What a cute family! Good luck with recovering and I wish you all the best :) You are a brave Mama Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. Congratulations to the whole family. I hope you can convince them to send little Abigail home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for more pictures! Thank you so much. I really enjoyed these pictures. Seeing them together, seeing the hair, Seeing them with the rest of the family.

    Take care, and do all you can to get some sleep Erin. I know you're exhausted. And I hope Abby can come home from the hospital very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all went well with the birth of the twins. I know you will be glad when Abigail is home with you. Best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for the Whitmers! We're so happy for all of you- and Erin you are a beast! Tiny and a beast- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures. Thanks for the post. Here's hoping that Abby gets to come home today so you can all be together. Love Grandma & Grandad
    P.S. Thanks for sharing Charlotte with us we love having her. She'll see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay there here! Congrats to Erin for doing such a good job and another great labor and delivery story! Hopefully YOu all can be together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! So does that make 5 hours all together of labor and pushing?? That's amazing! Oliver and Abigail are so cute! and it looks like Oliver (I think it's him) has a good amount of hair, too! Have fun with your little bundles of joy, hopeful Abigail can make it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take two, I thought I already posted a comment? Anyway, I loved the pictures and post. Thanks for sharing Charlotte with us. We'll see you later today and hopefully Abby will come home today too. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe she didn't have an epidural! My doc had mentioned to me that she would have to pull my second twin out by the legs and told me I would be glad that i would have that epidural- of course it didn't happen that way, but I can't beleive Erin! Awesome!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad they arrived safe! They are so tiny and sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you didn't get an epidural!! My only comfort is that the babies were small. You are a CHAMP, Erin! Congratulations!

    ps. Thanks for posting this, Matt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOSH, ERIN!!!! I AM SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS! I am very jealous, I must say, and I imagine you are just in heaven right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! They are beautiful! I'm so glad they are healthy and doing well. You did an amazing job, Erin. I'm so glad you were able to avoid the c-section and even an epidural! I think the recovery is so much easier without one. I'm sure that must be very frustrating to have to have left Abigail in the hospital. It was hard when we had to leave Annika in the NICU and come home, but I didn't have another baby at home to take care of, so I could just hang out at the hospital all day with her. I hope she's home soon so you can all be together. I'm very happy for you that they are here safely, though! AND, I'm super impressed because I was dying with 9 pounds of baby in me, and you had even more than that! Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Erin and Matt,

    They are darling. So glad to hear that they are healthy. I hope Abigail is home soon. Congratuations to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations Whitmer family! I'm so proud of you Erin. The babies look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so beautiful! Wow, Erin, you are my hero! Pitocin....no epidural....and TWINS! You just birth babies so easily! I can't wait to come over and meet the babies. Get some sleep and enjoy this special time with them when they are so tiny and cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Congrats! I'm happy they both made it here safe and sound. I hope all is well with Abigail and that she will be home soon! It's no fun to have a baby still in the hospital. I thought it was kind of funny about your names, we seriously considered using Oliver for our little boy. It happens to be Jeff's middle name :). It would be Clark's middle name too if his initials didn't spell out COW that way :). Too funny. I can't wait for more twin updates! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of all, you are amazing!! Second of all, awwww! They are so cute. I was surprised how similar Abagail was to Madison and how much hair Oliver has. They are adorable and I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to get to come see them. Congratulations Erin and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was fun to see you in the Dr. office. I can't believe how tiny and precious they are. Babies are amazing, and twins are even more of a miracle. As I look at the pictures I am in awe. They are beautiful. Congrats! Come play at craft night sometime :)

    ReplyDelete