Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Waiting...Month 9

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ..."The long anticipated 9th month has begun. Pregnancy is technically supposed to be 40 weeks (37-42 weeks is usually considered full term). I'm at week 37. I feel huge.

I don't mind waiting for the baby to come...what I do mind is waiting in hospital waiting rooms for most of my Monday and Thursday. I bring a book but it's still a pain. Let me explain why I spend so much time at the hospital when I am not in labor.

At my 35 week ultra sound she was still measuring small (4lbs 8oz was the estimate). My doctor seems to be extra cautious, so she sends me to the hospital twice a week for a BPP Ultrasound and a Non-Stress Test. She doesn't seem worried but she just wants to be careful. This has been my weekly schedule of appointments and will be until the baby decides she's ready to come.

Mon:
11:30 arrive at hospital for check-in including signing all the forms and getting a wrist band that is impossible to get off (I've had to wear them shopping a couple of times because I forgot my pocket knife)
Wait.
12:00 (if I'm lucky) start the BPP ultrasound.
Wait
around 1:00 start my Non-stress test NST
Wait
Leave around 2:00

Thurs:
11:40 doctor's appointment
Rush to the hospital and take just the non-stress test
Wait
Leave around 2:00

I'm so glad I'm not trying to teach and fit in all these appointments. The BPP only takes 30 min at the most and the NST takes 20. So why am I there so long? Who knows. It seems to take hospitals forever to do anything. Last week there were 9 women in labor so I can understand why I wasn't the top priority but usually it's pretty quiet...

A BBP (Biophysical Profile) Ultra-sound measures my amniotic fluid, the baby's practice breathing, kicking, and back arching. Each of the 4 categories is scored on a 2 if they see it in the half hour or a 0 if they don't see it. It doesn't mean she never kicks etc just that she didn't do it during the test. This usually isn't a problem because she is a good mover but she is running out of room and she does sleep sometimes. On her first two tests she did everything and I had good fluid so she scored 8 out of 8. Let's hope her good scores keep up. They did have to use a buzzer thing to get her to arch her back the right way, it really got her moving, poor baby.

Non-Stress Test: This is exactly what they do during labor. They put two fetal monitors on my tummy. One to monitor the baby's heart rate and one to monitor any contractions. I've done four of these tests so far. I just sit there until the baby moves and the heart rate accelerates enough times for them to see she is doing okay. I actually am having some practice contractions but I don't feel them yet. It's funny to see them on the monitor and feel hardly anything, certainly no pain maybe a slight pressure or tightening. The nurse says they are picking these up because I don't have much of a fat layer (that's a good thing I think:). When I'm having painful contractions they will look pretty impressive I'm told. They will usually only hook you up for 20 min. but she's such a good mover she finishes in about 10. They still make me sit there for an hour while they finish my paperwork. Ugh.

I don't really mind the extra tests. They aren't scary or painful or anything. I just don't want them to lead to being induced early or a c-section. The more closely they monitor you the more likely this is to happen- I've read anyway. Everything except her size has been perfect. I have this fear that I'll go in one time, the numbers will be slightly off and they'll decide to keep me and induce. If there really is something wrong I'm all for whatever they have to do but so often they freak out over little things. I figure babies usually know when they are ready to come. I'm so glad I live today with modern medicine but that doesn't mean I want them deciding when I'll have our baby unless I have to. I know it's not the worst thing but that's my preference.

Here's My Pregnancy Report Card if You Will:
Blood pressure: perfect
Swelling: almost none (a little in the evening in my fingers)
Sickness: none
Bleeding: none
Fluid level: great
Movement: great
Weight gain: 22 lbs (25-35 is recommended by the end)
Heart beat: perfect
Effacement: 75%
Cervix: Softening- barely 1 cm dilated

I guess they worry if your baby isn't on target for the 7- 7.5 lbs average. But they say first babies are usually smaller, girls are usually smaller, and people usually have babies that are the right size for them to push out. My doctor is estimating a 6 lbs baby. If I go to 40 weeks and she gains the 1/2 a week like most babies do at this point she will be close to 7. So I try not to worry.

I am definitely uncomfortable sometimes, at night especially. The baby's head is sitting really low (I'm trying so hard not to waddle). I don't think it's possible to pee so often and then it gets worse. Most of the time I still feel just fine. I'm still walking and doing water aerobics two or three times a week (thanks to my pregnant friend Cortney). I watch my heart rate and make sure I don't tire myself out. I keep it very mild.

On the up side I'm getting to know the front desk secretaries and the nurses in the OB very well. They've already asked all the questions, had me fill out all the paper work, and made copies of everything they need to. Maybe that will make my labor day just that much smoother.

I want lots of reassuring comments about how you go into labor on your own, small babies are fine etc. None of those scary birth stories...I've heard and read enough of those at this point.

12 comments:

  1. You'll do Great!!! You look beautiful!!! I think I'd be worried if you were having a 9 or 10 pounder. So, I'm sure she's "Just Right". You know we'll love her very much even if she's bald like her Mama was. Maybe she'll have that great smile. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Your so close it is so exciting! I am sure you will do just fine with labor and delivery! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie will be bald. no sicknesse? No nausea? No food aversion? No barfing? Some people might me jealous. You don't look huge. It's your uterus that's measuring small right? How many cm is it at now? Hopefully you won't need to be induced, but it takes lots of patience and luck to hold out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, sorry no going into labor stories from me but I'm sure you'll do great...she'll be a little less than 6 lbs (I think) and be PERFECT. And, small babies are the BEST. I am biased of course because both of mine were 2 1/2 pounds...but whether she was born at 2 lbs or 10 she'll be perfect to you. What an exciting time....sleep every minute you're not in the hospital. Sit with your feet up....and then sleep some more. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sure everything will go perfectly! Small babies are wonderful - if for no other reason than that their heads are smaller. Much easier for mama to push out. :) Seara was 7#2 when they thought she'd be 6; Elijah was 6#15 when they thought he'd be high 5 or low 6. My uterus just doesn't have much 'free space' for the kids to play in. They are squished in tight! I'm sure you're the same. And if not, five pounds is still a healthy baby. Good luck with the waiting. I can definitely commiserate with how anxious you can feel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I remember the endless nonstress tests- mine always took forever cuz they had a hard time measuring two babies for 10 minutes each.
    But as far as them guessing how big she is- I don't listen to them. My doc said Hannah was about 4 pounds and thought she wasn't getting nutrients (and that Ethan was 2 pounds bigger), therefore I was induced (there was a few other reasons too), and when she came out she was 5'13 and Ethan was 5'15- so I decided those measurements mean nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! The last three weeks in definately the hardest. And small babies are just great! (There's my reassuring comment.)Not that that I would know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh baby! She's probably getting so excited to meet me! She'll know it's me when I poke her and yell "Hey baby!" just like I do now. Or I could let my phone vibrate at her... perhaps that was a more memorable experience? Could you change my prediction to 6 lbs 4 oz? I think the estimated weights are always small (in my obsrvations of others' pregnancies).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so good! I'll be thinking of and praying for you with labor! I know you'll be fantastic. Don't forget to bring the baby by school so we can celebrate with her!

    ps - The name game is locked now and I didn't get a chance to guess (my bad)...so I am willing to be your safety person to confide the baby's name to. Go ahead...I'll be waiting. Call/email, whatever....

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great healthy pregnancy report! You wouldn't want to hear mine by this stage....(brooke still wins with the bias thing:) We are so excited to see this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aren't you glad you had all of your bags packed???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Luck Erin and Matt. We just can't imagine what the mix of your two different sizes is apt to bring? I'm sure she'll surprise us all!

    ReplyDelete