Friday, June 15, 2012

I ran a marathon- (not really)

On my facebook wall on May 24th I posted:
"I finished my first "marathon" 26.2 miles logged in the month of May! It's been hard getting up to go running everyday but I've done it!"
We had to send in a finisher photo.  Notice Olly's attempt to get his hand in the air, Abby was too cool for that.
I was worried that people would actually think I ran a real marathon- which is laughably not the case.  Anyone who knows me well knows I am by no means an athlete.  I am an anti-athlete, if that is a word.  It is one of the things I am most self-conscious about and have wished many times I could change.  Thanks to going to a small school I honestly tried 4 different sports but you can't overcome this much un-coordination with "trying harder".  I try to be healthy and I like to go on walks but sports are not my thing.  Let's just say I hope our kids are more athletic than I am.

Last year I found the Joggermom Marathon by chance on facebook.  Basically you have 31 days from May 1-May 31 to run the length of a full marathon 26.2 miles.  They pick the month of May because of mother's day that month- this is a chance for moms to do something for themselves, and because the weather is nice most places.  Anyone who is much of a runner does this every month (or week)  I'm sure.  Everyone who finishes, regardless of time, gets entered in to win some nice prizes (think $500 jogging strollers) . I was a little discouraged when the first person to finish this year was on May 4th.  Many of the people on there finished in 3 or 4 runs.  Go run a real marathon people! That is NOT me. 

 Last year I started out pretty well- but you're not supposed to walk, and it's hard to go from being a walker to a full time runner- even for 1 mile.  After a  few weeks, the stomach bug and struggling to get up early enough to run before I had to nurse the twins I had only logged 7 miles.  Plus you had to track it with some sort of GPS and I couldn't get mine to work.  Basically is was a BIG flop.  But I learned some things.  

This year I set it as a New Year's goal.   I was going to do this thing!  In April I started running every other day using one of the "couch to 5K" running plans that are prevalent on the Internet to ease myself into running instead of walking.  I found a running app I liked- endomondo.  I promised myself I would get up every single morning (except Sunday- I take the day of rest pretty literally).  I need to be very specific in my goals- I knew this would make me run more than I ever would on my own.

I am proud to say I did it!  I got up every.single.morning M-Sat to run until I finished.  Charlotte who usually wakes up at 7 started getting up at 6:30 and then 6 and then 5:30.  Maybe it was the sun coming up earlier but I think it's her 6th sense- she senses when I'm up and trying to do something without her.  She had no interest in watching cartoons at home with dad while I ran.  So I ended up pushing my 30+ pound daughter in my freebie single stroller with tiny wheels that veer badly.  Meaning I had to push harder with one hand so she wouldn't go off the sidewalk.  I only tipped her over once and it was in super slow motion (this is me running remember) but I still felt so bad.  I started to dream that maybe I could win one of those jogging strollers.  I felt like 1 mile with that stroller should count for 2 miles!

Getting up early really helps me to learn to love Mesa.  I struggle with the heat.  It's a lot easier for me to appreciate the beauty of the mountains, baby ducks on the canal, and nice lawns when I'm not sweating like a pig.  May was super hot- even before 7am some days.  Charlotte made a great cheerleader.  She'd pop into my room first thing, "Get up mommy!  Get up.  You going running today?"  Then if I tried to slow down, "Faster mommy!  You can do it!"

My sister Marti helped me get through a few longer night runs.  I don't like running at night as much, but having someone to talk to made it much more fun (and safe).  I wish I could find a running buddy who lives close who is as non-athletic as I am.  All these half-marathon or even 5K people put me to shame.  I am a tortoise not a hare.  I ran only 1 mile most days.  I had to run every day without skipping because I knew I wasn't up to "catching-up" by doing a 2-mile run.  At the end I was finally getting close to 2 miles- and feeling good- if I wasn't pushing the stroller and 3-year-old that is.  I won by consistency not my speed for sure.  I thought I would finish with 1 day to spare if I never missed a day of running my 1 mile.  But as my endurance increased I finished about a week earlier than that.  

My official time was 24 days or 21 days if you don't count Sundays.  A pretty bad marathon!  If you added up all my time actually running it was still darn slow 6 hours 15min 22 sec.  I guess the average for women is around 4 hours 45 min. and that's running it consecutively!


  I said I didn't do it for the prizes, but as I came close to finishing visions of jogging strollers or $100 Amazon gift cards started dancing in my head.  I wish I could finish this post by saying I won a prize, but I didn't.  I am pretty proud of myself for finishing- I think everyone in my family, and a few friends had to hear me talk about this.  I never had people come to all my sporting events and cheer me on- this is all I've got.

Q&A  

Am I still running Monday-Saturday?  No way.  I was exhausted by the end- staying up late and getting up early every day is a bad combo.
Am I still running a few times a week? Yes!  My endurance and my sense that I CAN do it has increased dramatically after my month-long kick start.  Basically I had to stop listing all the reasons I couldn't finish a marathon, and figure out how and when I could do it.  
Do I ever want to run a real marathon?  Ha ha. Never.  That is some special kind of torture.  I hated races in cross country.  I am trying to work up to running 5K (about 3.2 miles) now on my own.  
Am I glad I did it?  Absolutely! No one ever says, oh I wish I hadn't made that hard goal or exercised so much- I really regret it!
Anyone want to run it next May with me?  It's a nationwide thing, you just sign-up and pay your $10 fee, and start tracking your running- I didn't mind the fee because it made me feel more committed.  You won't regret it!

Here's a link to the finisher's video (our picture made the cut around 6min 50 sec)
And if you want a good laugh here's the link to the finalists for the funny running picture prize- chalk outline won- I'll have to be a lot more creative to win that contest!  They added my picture on after the voting for the finalists was over but at least I made the board!

10 comments:

  1. You only tipped the stroller once! I loved that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Erin! I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Erin! I'm in for next year, just make sure you post a reminder, er, a bunch of reminders leading up to it! I need to lose the baby weight and then work on getting back to a healthy weight again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Great job! Getting up to actually do it is always the hardest part for me, so awesome job on not giving up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am super proud of you! I'm being totally honest with you when I say that the 5k is a rough distance. I swear it takes a 5k just to warm up enough so the "I want to just throw up and die" feeling goes away. Don't say you'll never do a marathon, you never know what sort of craziness you might end up in.

    I love that you took a finisher's photo. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand those un-athletic feelings. I too have dealt with those my whole life. Sorry if you are too much like your mother in that respect. I am very proud of you. It's always a good thing to complete something that is difficult. I am amazed that you get anything done with those three little ones in tow. Did Charlotte think you were trying to throw her out of the stroller? That part was funny. Sorry Charlotte. Thanks for sharing. Love Mom (We have other talents? Right!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we we neighbors! I'd run with you, and I'm WAY slow and unathletic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been 11 years since I ran my one and only 5k. It's ok to be non-athletic. Good work with the commitment and consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin, I am very impressed. Being an anti-athlete myself, I know how hard it is to do something new. And the offer still stands if you want to joing LeeAnn and me. We run Tuesday and Thursday at 5:45 for 2 or 3 miles, depending on our mood. And we are SLOW. We're talking 10:30 mile pace slow. Let me know if you are ever game.

    ReplyDelete