So how do you do bed rest with a toddler...
5 Drastic Changes at Our House
Since the Mama Got Put on "Partial" Bed Rest
1. Your sheltered first child will very quickly learn the names of all the characters in every Disney movie you own. I never purposely put Charlotte in front of the TV for her first year, and after that only sparingly (like Sesame Street) and she never seemed that interested. I know, I know, that will only work on the first kid but every first time parent has their "thing"- like trying to avoid sugar, right? Now she has to get her "Monsters, Boo!" fix at least once a day, then she asks for movie after movie if you let her. It's been nice cuddling her on the couch and funny to watch her get so excited/worried/mad watching movies, but inside I'm cringing at how quickly all those months of trying to avoid having a TV addict kid went down the drain. I don't know how else to do bed rest with a toddler though. Anyone want to loan me some new DVDs? Please!
2. Your husband will have to make dinner and go grocery shopping... not just for a few basics, but for conditioner and face wash that involve venturing down previously unknown aisles of the grocery store- with Charlotte in tow (because she begged daddy to "Go, please!!!"). I'm pretty proud of him- he's really taken over so much while having some big deadlines at work too.
3. Housework starts to look really appealing while you're permanently imprinting the shape of your basketball shaped abdomen in the couch. Man, what I would give to be able to dust my plant shelves and organize my kitchen cupboards right now! It reminds me of how appealing everything else seemed when you were supposed to be doing homework.
4.You'll start to let other pregnant women do favors for you. Why is it that all my pregnant friends are going out of their way to babysit and bring me food? My mom and non-pregnant friends have been so great too, but it's the pregnant ones that make me feel like a real slacker. That's true service.
5. At any mention of the word "go" your poor cooped up daughter will run to get her shoes, and yours, as fast as her pudgy little legs can carry her. Then you say, "I said go to the bathroom, not go outside." The sad thing is- this is going to be a lot closer to what our life is like after the babies come.
It's honestly a lot like first trimester, laying on the couch, your house a mess, wishing you could do something about it. Except I feel uncomfortable instead of nauseous. I really don't feel that bad physically most days- just bored and lazy. I can't really read or do other projects unless Charlotte's asleep, and then I'm supposed to be sleeping.
My mom came for most of the last 3 weeks which has really helped with the cooking, cleaning and keeping Charlotte happy, and I have been able to quilt which makes me feel like I'm doing something. I think I need to have the doctor tell her what "partial bed rest" means. It's become her personal mission to let me off the couch as little as possible and single-handily keep these twins growing. I'm going to start faking more bathroom breaks! :-) Moms never stop taking care of you.
Charlotte has also started more "terrible two" behavior since (or maybe because) I've been on the couch. We've had a few tantrums where she lays and on the floor and pretends to cry (which I ignore), running away from mom usually with something she isn't supposed to have like scissors (which gets her in big trouble). Couldn't she wait another year or so to start testing her boundaries? Right before we have newborn twins is not the ideal time.

34 weeks I can't even believe this stomach is attached to me-
it is like it's own planet it's so far out there! I've honestly contemplated waking Matt up to help roll me over at night it's so difficult and uncomfortable!
Pregnancy Progress Report
Weeks:35 (sounds much better than 31 but I'm hoping for at least 36)
Weight Gain: Still 1 more pound to gain to be at my ending weight with Charlotte- but I'm SOOO much bigger. Oddly enough I slowed down on gaining while on bed rest- losing muscle? less snack trips to the kitchen?
Blood pressure: good
Fluid: perfect
Cervix: Held steady for 3 weeks then went to 19mm last week- really good for this stage with twins. All that bed rest is paying off and now we're we're to the point where they are not worried about it anymore. Yeah!
Baby A Boy
Weight estimate: 4lb 6 oz woo hoo! 4lb mark!
Position: Head still super low- I don't think he's moving which means I'll most likely get to try a "regular" delivery
Movement/Practice Breathing/Blood flow: Really good, they both move a ton
Baby B Girl
Weight estimate: 3lbs 13oz
Position: Head up- so after he's out she'll either-
a. turn on her own
b. the doctor will turn her or
c. deliver breech since I just had the larger baby boy
Movement/Practice Breathing/Blood flow: Really good
You could see a little hair fuzz on one of the babies in the ultrasound- would anyone like to guess which one?
I'm really starting to get excited! I'm so happy to have made it this far that I don't have the heart to worry about the labor, delivery, or newborn craziness yet. I'm just enjoying not worrying as much about super early babies. Here's hoping they wait 2 more weeks to come!
I am glad you are doing good. Hope the babies can hang in for a few more weeks!
ReplyDeleteJust keep taking it easy so those twins will wait. Glad everyone is doing well. Those movies do come in handy. You'll find you need them after the twins come.
ReplyDeleteWOW!My guess is baby boy has fuzzy hair. The boys always get the long hair and long eyelashes. You are almost there! I know how you feel about the movies. I went through the same thing the first few months of this pregnancy. I felt so guilty, but I guess life goes on and he doesn't watch a movie every day, so progress!
ReplyDeleteYour stomach really does look like it could hardly be attached to your body. You are just so tiny, and your belly is the perfect shape of a basketball. If I hadn't seen you in real life I'd wonder if this wasn't pretend! ;)
ReplyDeleteps. I say the boy has fuzz. Just because of Murphey's law. If you have a baby with lots of hair, it's destined to be a boy. Like how my brothers got long, luscious eyelashes, but all us girls were gypped.
You're looking so cute! I know what you mean about the belly being like another planet. I'm always shocked when I look in the mirror and see just how big I am, every single time! How is that humanly possible for it to be like that??? You are so not a slacker--you're doing a great job growing those babies, and I'm sure anyone who's helped you is glad it's working. I also hear you on the TV thing. I try not to let my kids watch TV till they're 2 (even on my 4th child!). Once you start, it's hard to control. The only thing Brielle watches is the last part of Sesame Street when Elmo comes on, and she is already quite demanding when she wants it!
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Let's both hope I have my baby first!
I'm glad your learning to let others help, although I don't feel like I've done much. So, if you don't ask I'll just start coming over and getting Charlotte or something.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I didn't realize you were so close to the finish line. I haven't even watched Charlotte or made you dinner or anything. I'm definately making up for all of this once the package is delivered.
ReplyDeleteKelli! You crack me up! You are exactly one of those pregnant friends I was referring to... remember about 3-4 times where Charlotte was at your house for like half the day while I was at the doctor? Then I came back and blubbered to you about it? You've been great and have already helped out more than enough!
ReplyDeleteHi Erin! I'm so happy to see you in good spirits. Praying for a healthy delivery for you!
ReplyDeleteWe keep praying for you. I guess your daughter for the fuzz! When David came at 3 pounds 11 ounces he was covered in fuzz:)
ReplyDelete